The key legislative issues facing the Realtors this year are:
Bill H. 3771 - (summary of the bill ) A BILL TO AMEND SECTION 40-57-40, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE MEMBERSHIP OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA REAL ESTATE COMMISSION, SO AS TO DETAIL PROCEDURES FOR APPOINTING THE SEVEN COMMISSIONERS WHO REPRESENT THE SEVEN CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICTS, AND TO PROVIDE THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR, LICENSING AND REGULATION SHALL DESIGNATE CERTAIN PERSONNEL FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE OF THE COMMISSION, TO PROHIBIT THE DEPARTMENT FROM ASSIGNING OTHER WORK TO THESE PERSONNEL WITHOUT APPROVAL OF THE COMMISSION, AND TO PROVIDE THESE PERSONNEL ONLY MAY BE TERMINATED BY THE DIRECTOR.
Did you know that the fees we pay to the LLR ( licensing fees ) are not kept by the Real Estate Commission !!!! They are dispersed throughout the entire LLR to support 5 insolvent licensing boards and functions. This puts the public at higher risk due to the inability to adequately regulate and police our members.
THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!!
SCR is also in support of introduction of a bill that would:
- improve the quality and scope of educational courses
- increase pre-licensing education requirements
- increase current mandatory continuing education requirements
- increase post licensing instruction and training requirements for first year licensees
SCR supports H 3845 :
- establishes that the fair market value may be appealed based on current market values
- places the burden of proving values on the county tax assessor
- allows a purchaser to institute or maintain an existing appeal
- extends the right to appeal a tax bill to the later of 90 days after the proposed assessment or 30 days from receipt of the tax bill
listen to Steve Brown the 2013 NAR President Elect who spoke to the Realtors in front of the Capitol before our Lobby efforts.
please watch for emails about "call to actions" where you can respond to your representative easily..
Re/Max Southern Shores
Director Coastal Carolina Association of Realtors
2013 Professional Education Chair
2013 REF Area 2 Director